About this service
Specific to lighting, this service can be offered as independent advice or in conjunction with specialist lighting consultancy.
Energy management involves conducting a detailed appraisal of your site, from an entire property to an individual room.
We assess and monitor energy use, energy charges per unit, maintenance replacement costs in order to create a picture of your individual needs.
We guarantee to reduce your overall energy consumption as well as associated costs of frequently changing globes (light bulbs) and equipment while maintaining the ambient integrity of your site.
Our theatrical energy management solutions are unique and specifically directed at existing theatres needing to upgrade. For more information, please contact us.
For more details about ProDesign’s energy management or to discuss your requirements, please feel free to contact us.
Theatrical Energy Management
ProDesign Lighting – one of Australia’s leading specialist lighting consultancies – can deliver cost saving energy management solutions to the entertainment and arts industry.
With the introduction of new technology such as innovative optical systems and light sources (including LED) into theatrical luminaires ProDesign Lighting can now apply cost-effective energy management and whole-of-life costing practices to performing arts and entertainment venues.
An evaluation of your venue is now available through ProDesign Lighting. To enable the evaluation to be implemented, a site visit of your venue will be required.
The evaluation involves:
– Recording accurate details of each lighting position and relevant fixtures including throw distances, beam angles and light output
– Preparing logs of both the incoming electrical supply and the dimmed output
On completion of the data assessment, ProDesign Lighting will provide a full report addressing:
- Output and efficiencies of the existing rig
- Output and efficiencies of a proposed replacement rig
- Fixture comparison of “before” and “after”
- Energy consumption comparison of “before” and “after”
- Breakdown of running costs per lamp based on a three hour performance cycle
- Graphical representation of the incoming power supply
- Graphical representation of the outgoing dimmed supply
- Negative and positive summary of the evaluation
The example shown here illustrates that the proposed replacement luminaires are more optically efficient in terms of light levels.
This results in more energy efficient light sources which allows lower wattage fixtures but still provides superior coverage both on-stage and Front of House.
Additional benefits include:
- Lower energy consumption
- Increased lamp life
- Reduced maintenance
- Lower air conditioning costs
In a test case, this venue is able to:
- Reduce the amount of fixtures by fourteen per cent while still maintaining the integrity of the system.
- A nine per cent reduction in wattage is also possible, even if all fixtures are operating simultaneously.
- The test logs also reveal potential problems, such as faulty dimmers or inadequate soft start circuiting.
- In addition an inrush current was recorded at 2,658 volts which can significantly reduce lamp life and dramatically increase operating costs.
If your theatre is using a rig consisting of fixtures purchased prior to 1998, an evaluation will produce results.
ProDesign Lighting is now able to replace a 1200w Zoomspot (420 lux) with a 600w Axial Zoom (438 lux) resulting in additional light on stage and using a lighter smaller fixture. This halves the energy consumption and produces half the heat which in turn reduces the overall load on the air-conditioning system.
As an added benefit, the colour temperature of the latest technology lamp is higher, producing a brighter light without using any further energy.
Related case studies
Burswood Entertainment Complex
Hyatt Regency Hotel
Check out the rest of our case studies here